Rhenus is set to continue its growth and increase its presence in Venlo, with the construction of a new 33,000 square metre building. Rhenus and asset manager abrdn signed a sustainable redevelopment agreement for a period of 20 years. The building, located in Greenport Venlo, will be redeveloped into a BREEAM Excellent and Well Silver building, as per the requirement of Rhenus.
The building will be divided into a 16,000 square metre warehouse, 12,000 square metre transshipment, 3,300 square metre mezzanine and 1,400 square metre office. Construction will start in September is expected to be completed in the third quarter of 2024.
“This location next to the motorway forms an important link in our international groupage 2.0 network”, says Michael van Ooijen, Regional Manager at Rhenus Road. “From Venlo, we can easily drive to other countries or trans-shipment centres in Europe. We will have 12,000 square metres at our disposal for trans-shipment. With groupage 2.0 we want to create a pan-European, full-coverage network for our customers based on daily departures with reliable transit times. Our aim is to become one of the five largest European service providers for groupage transport.”
Nick van Loon, Managing Director Rhenus Road adds: “Additionally, we can offer our customers transport-related storage of 16,000 square metres in Venlo. Moreover, we have all the space here to shape and give substance to the cooperation with other Rhenus divisions and to grow along with our customers. After the redevelopment, the premises will meet our specific needs and requirements.”
Abrdn was supported commercially in this transaction by JLL and M2 Real Estate. Rhenus Road was assisted in this transaction by VSR Vastgoed Advies. Savills advised abrdn in the technical process, Volantess advised Rhenus Road in the technical process, and DLA Piper Nederland assisted abrdn during the legal process.
The Rhenus Group is one of the leading logistics specialists with global business operations and annual turnover amounting to EUR 8.6 billion. 39,000 employees work at 1,120 business sites and develop innovative solutions along the complete supply chain. Whether providing transport, warehousing, customs clearance or value-added services, the family-owned business pools its operations in various business units where the needs of customers are the major focus at all times.
• Abrdn is a global investment company that helps clients and customers plan, save and invest for the future. Our purpose is to enable our clients to be better investors.
• Our strategy is to deliver client-led growth. We are structured around three businesses – Investments, Adviser and Personal – focused on their changing needs.
• The capabilities in our Investments business are built on the strength of our insight – generated from wide-ranging research, worldwide investment expertise and local market knowledge.
• Our teams collaborate across regions, asset classes and specialisms, connecting diverse perspectives and working with clients to identify investment opportunities that suit their needs.
• As at 30 June 2023, our Investments business manages EUR428.4 bn on behalf of clients - including insurance companies, sovereign wealth funds, independent wealth managers, pension funds, platforms, banks and family offices.
The value of investments and the income from them can go down as well as up and investors may get back less than the amount invested.